Saturday 4 March 2023

Bacon etc

A week or so ago off to London for one of the fine bacon sandwiches to be had at the Market Restaurant in Whitecross Street, a place I used to visit more regularly when I was a bigger user of the St. Luke's lunch time concerts than I am now.

A visit involving pulling three Bullingdons - but do not be misled by all the '£0.00's. You have to pay a £1.65 hire charge for each trip but what is recorded here is only the charge for excess journey time, which I do not incur very often. The first 30 minutes is included in the hire charge.

Started off in Meadway, where they might have fixed the leaking ground, but they are clearly about to get cracking on something else, the something else that resulted in the pump post at reference 1.

Changed onto the tube at Balham, a tube in which the in-train indicators said Morden while the on-platform indicators said High Barnet via Bank. All very confusing but I stuck with it and by the time we got to Stockwell, the in-train indicators had settled for High Barnet too.

Out at Old Street to spot a cyclist doing a hands free. All in all, it proved a bad day for cyclist manners.

Parked up at Roscoe Street to pass the mural above. Which I must have passed many times before, but I did not remember it at all. Not the work of a beginner, so OK. But I think there all to be a rule that once it starts to get flaky, it is painted out. Let someone else have a go. A vague feeling today that I have in fact noticed it before, but search fails to turn anything up. Maybe try again later.

Restaurant pretty full when I arrived, mainly blue collars, but they had more or less all gone by the time that I left. They must start early and take their lunch break 12:00 to 12:30. My bacon sandwich was up to its usual high standard.

At this point, the plan had been to go to the butcher in Clerkenwell (noticed at reference 2) and then onto Seven Dials for cheese, but I had forgotten to pack my bicycle lock and I did not care to be leaving a Bullingdon unlocked, which would be expensive if someone pinched it. So headed down to London Bridge instead.

Paid my first ever visit to the inside of Ginger Pig and fell for a shoulder of lamb. The bones were in but the shape seemed a little unusual. I shall report in due course.

Not much in the way of green vegetables in the market, dominated by exotics, but I did run down a bag with some spring greens. A bit young and tender but they would probably do.

Lincolnshire Poacher cheese, from Neal's Yard Dairy, all present and correct.

Thought about a second snack but the market was all rather busy - I suspect with tourists rather than with shoppers - and I decided against, heading back to Waterloo instead. The new bag of reference 3 being fairly heavy by this point. Quite awkward to get it on and off, but safe enough on the cycle once it was on. A lot better than struggling with several smaller bags.

Took a Guardian at Smith's where I managed the self-service machine. To puzzle, yet again, about why Smith's shops are so badly laid out. 

Good haul at the restocked Raynes Park platform library: Thubron (already reported on at reference 4), the Wittgensteins and the Thames & Hudson (mainly pictorial) take on dreams. So anti-clockwise from the red cyclamen: spring greens, sheep shoulder, cheese, Thubron, dreams, Guardian, Metro and Wittgensteins. Crash hat right and new bag bringing up the rear.

There was a Sainsbury's trolley at the junction of Temple Road and Chase Road which I marked down for another day. But, in the event, what with one thing and another, I never got around to it.

References

Reference 1: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2023/03/new-pump.html.

Reference 2: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2023/02/modigliani.html.

Reference 3: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2023/02/new-bag.html.

Reference 4: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2023/03/in-siberia.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment