Sunday 23 January 2022

Elephant trap

A slightly odd email, but it would have been easy enough to click the email address, just to see what happens. That can't do any harm...

But apart from the fact that I could recall no such transaction, inspection revealed a few oddities. No name after the 'Dear' and no line feed after that. 'Welwyn Garden town' rather than 'Welwyn Garden City' and a postcode that gmaps does not recognise. And no proper company name.

And after the business noticed in the second half of reference 1, I thought perhaps best not to poke around with platform connections.

Message deleted. I now suppose that clicking on what looked like my email address would have allowed some improper code onto my laptop or into my email account. Slightly alarmed by how easy it would have been so to do.

But I suppose also that the main thing is not to click on links in emails from people you have never heard of, be the email be ever so respectable looking.

References

Reference 1: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2022/01/low-life.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment