Sunday 14 April 2024

Trolley 671


Another couple of small M&S trolleys from the Kokoro Passage. Small trolleys clearly at a premium once again, because one of them was claimed as I returned it.

It being a bit late - having spent the middle of the day fiddling with my new fibre connection (from BT) to the Internet - which has given no trouble at all since - proceeded onto the Middle Lane version of the Screwfix underpass circuit.

A short visit to TB on the home stretch, then cranking up for Friday evening, but with background music which was far too loud for my taste. Cover the conversation, fair enough - but no need to shout it down, as it were. No visible signs of a recent skirmish, I believe in the margins of a funeral gathering.

Past a house which was once home to a small group of the neurologically diverse, at least one of whom was quite old and some of whom one used to see out on the streets. One of whom used to cycle about, not always in places which I thought sensible. Once a good sized family home, possibly adapted as a home for the diverse with redundancy money or retirement lump sums by nurses from the mental hospitals up the road. Now looking unoccupied, but without any 'for sale' sign, so who knows what is going on. Or what became of the diverse, not easy to find homes for at the best of times. I imagine it would cost a good bit to bring it back to family standard.

No trace on Zoopla and suchlike places, no trace on the Care Quality Commission web site. But then, I am not too confident that I know where to look on this last.

A bit of botany a bit later on with the mystery plant in the middle micro pond, with it turning out that yellow spikes are the inflorescences: they are not buds still waiting to open.

But not really botany, not even me searching my digital archive. Rather, BH searching her old-speak archive - to turn up golden club (Orontium aquaticum) from Lillies Water Garden, which I then ran down to reference 2.

I suspect the little yellow protuberances of being sex organs. An interesting plant close up and I can see why we bought it off the catalogue. 

Reference 3 suggests that the inflorescence as a whole might be called a spadix: 'a type of inflorescence having small flowers borne on a fleshy stem'. While the upper yellow part might be the peduncle, with this last carrying whatever passes for flowers here. Haven't quite worked it all out yet, sex organs notwithstanding.

Then this morning I removed some clumps of duck-weed, pending application of some white powders which live in the garage somewhere. Can't find any trace of its purchase in gmail, eBay or Amazon, so maybe I bought them direct from a gardening website. But odd that I can't find the purchase in gmail. Maybe when we get the name of the stuff I will do better.

While down the bottom, for once we have a modest cuckoo-pint flower (Arum maculatum), which I now know to be a relative of the golden club. Usually the slugs get to our cuckoo-pints.

PS: the next day: regarding duck-weed, BH's old-speak archive does it again, this time telling me where the stuff was in the garage, stuff which came in a sturdy plastic bag with the name 'Aquaplancton' on the side. A name which turns up the relevant email from 2021 fast enough, but an email which was not loquacious, terse even, and there was no way that I was going to find it without the name of the product. And I am not sure that had I searched the Internet for duck-weed control and found the product, that I would have recognised the name - so, if there were lots of such products out there, which seems quite likely, I might have had to try a few before I got lucky. See reference 4. 

I might say that the stuff worked well enough - although, given the way that it works, one is going to need to repeat from time to time. Action stations!

References

Reference 1: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2024/04/trolley-670.html.

Reference 2: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2022/06/pond-life.html.

Reference 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orontium_aquaticum.

Reference 4: https://aquaplancton.co.uk/.

Group search key: trolleysk.

No comments:

Post a Comment