Thursday 25 April 2024

Time greedy trivia

Fiddling around this morning I turned up the book snapped above, reference 1, more than 400 pages ot if, the sequel to the best selling reference 2. Both the sort of cookbooks for achieving improbable success that they seem to like in the US. As explained at reference 3.

But where had it come from? Was I prompted to read it by something that I was already attempting to read? Was it a pick-me-up from the Sutton or Raynes Park platform libraries?

Some clues was conveniently tucked inside: the label from one of those wrappers used for postage by second hand book sellers and a business card from the eBay seller called 'Family_book_shop'.

But first I tried gmail, searching for the book directly, and drew a blank. Second, armed with the date of December 2023 from the label, I tried searching my purchases on eBay. Which turned out to be that snapped above, substantively noticed at reference 4. With this book being from 10 years before the present book. Furthermore, the earlier book does not appear in the index of the later book. From which I deduce that the clues were not clues at all. A pick-me-up which I can safely consign to the compost heat: I waste quite enough of my quality time already.

Next stop was the book at reference 5, a book I have been trying to read since it was first published in 2021 and did post something about at reference 6 in 2023. I keep getting so far, then getting diverted. The book opens with the rising sun, a category of event defined by their needing to be a point of view; a rising sun has no existence without there being something or someone to watch it. From where I associated to a correspondent who took a lot of interest in perspective, something which, as I recall, he thought there was far too much of. Interest which had resulted in a substantial Word document. I probably had a copy on one of the computers retired to the loft - but could I put my hands on it? This time the gmail search feature did the business and I was able to recover a draft of the document, from over a decade ago. All most impressive.

Plus, I will reread reference 6, so that bit of the time spent of trivia was productive.

Last stop was reference 7, which came to me as a result of my taking an interest in Ainscough cranes, following the report about one of their cranes from Stoneleigh at reference 8. More than 800 pages of pdf. The first part given over to crane tutorial, the second part to a series of specifications of their cranes, a good part of which is tables like that snapped above. All to do with how much lift you get at various distances and heights. But working it all out is clearly going to have to wait for a rainy Friday afternoon, when things are a bit slow after a heavy lunch.

Not all that much in the way of impressive pictures. For that you need the Liebherr website at reference 9.

Time to get up properly.

References

Reference 1: A passion for excellence: The leadership difference - Tom Peters, Nancy Austin - 1985.

Reference 2: In search of Excellence - Tom Peters, Richard Waterman - 1982.

Reference 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_Excellence.

Reference 4: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2024/01/the-relaxation-response.html.

Reference 5: The hidden spring: A Journey to the Source of Consciousness - Mark Solms - 2021.

Reference 6: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2023/05/a-reprise-of-chips-life.html

Reference 7: Ainscough crane hire: Fleet Guide - Ainscough Crane Hire - 2021.

Reference 8: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2024/04/piano-82.html.

Reference 9: https://www.liebherr.com/en/gbr/start/start-page.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment