Saturday 1 July 2023

Cherries: take two

Having polished off the cherries noticed yesterday at reference 1, decided that some more were needed and so this morning headed off to the market, getting the day right on this second occasion.

Market busy, with both meat van and fish van present, almost falling for some quite decent looking smoked haddock.

But I did fall for some very good looking cherries, origin unknown, going for £6.25 for a pound. The snap above does not do justice to them, as they were all a uniform, shiny, very dark red. Very good they were too, with no duds so far and just the one a little past its best. Hopefully, now that it is a bit cooler, thinking of the loss of a day for every hour at 70°F mentioned in the previous post, they will still be good tomorrow.

Pie slice at the back set out against the Quiche Lorraine to come, known to some as bacon and egg flan.

Having bought the cherries, I went to inspect the pyramid orchids on what used to be the Tchibo bank, but they had succumbed to the first mow of the season. Maybe they will come back.

Howdens was up and running around the corner, and the lady there was happy to give me one of their kitchen cupboard catalogues. Knowing smirks from the builders round about when I observed that this should keep BH happily busy for days - and I might also say that she has got off to a good start. Handy to have such a place so near; hopefully a happy compromise between Homebase of Ewell by-pass and Schmidt of Epsom Station.

The Manor Green Road butcher was back from his fishing expedition and was up, running and busy when I went past a few minutes later.

PS: the cherry plate is a family heirloom, so I was surprised that the most recent notice that I could turn up was reference 4, back in 2015. Perhaps a better search key will come to me in the hours to come. In the meantime, I notice that first, I bought those cherries in the middle of June rather than the beginning of July. And second, that I paid less than half what I paid today.

References

Reference 1: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2023/06/cherries.html.

Reference 2: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2023/06/nomow-bonus.html.

Reference 3: https://www.howdens.com/. 'The UK's No.1 Trade Kitchen Supplier'.

Reference 4: https://psmv2.blogspot.com/2015/06/hawker-discard.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment