Friday 12 November 2021

Criminal tax?

Got a text message on my (Lumia/Microsoft) telephone yesterday evening purporting to come from Royal Mail, about trouble with a delivery address. Decided that it had better wait until the morning when I would get cracking with the laptop again.

Type the long number into the regular Royal Mail website - the address of which was subtly different from that in the text message - to be told that they had not heard of this tracking number. So BH was probably right and it was some criminal trying to extract delivery money from me. Oddly though, I had had genuine messages from Royal Mail about deliveries quite recently - so does the criminal in question know that? And think that that makes it more likely that I will respond in a helpful way to his message?

Further irritation in that I could not find out how to move text messages from my Microsoft telephone to my Microsoft laptop, something which I am sure used to happen automatically a few years ago. Perhaps part of support being withdrawn from the telephone is turning that feature off.

Cortana - the Microsoft version of Alexa or Siri - tells me that she can't help me with that sort of thing. While Bing - the Microsoft version of Google's Google - turns up all sorts of geek-speak which I can't be bothered with so early in the morning, only just after breakfast. So there the matter will have to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment