Friday 9 August 2024

Puzzle

A long time ago, for a short while, I used to cycle from Oakthorpe Road on the southern fringe of Palmers Green (lower right in the snap above) to the Orphanage at Orphanage Road at Watford (upper left), then and possibly now an outpost of the Department of Employment.

Over breakfast and our Deluxe AZ for London, I failed this morning to work out what the route must have been. I remember it involving a semi-rural stretch in the vicinity of Totteridge and a rather challenging stretch along the A41. But I remember nothing of the M1, which I must have crossed at some point. Nor do I remember punctures being much of a problem - those being the days when one repaired a puncture on the go with patches, rubber solution and so on, rather than just changing the inner tube. Often in the dark. Sometimes when it was raining. All looks rather foolhardy now.

I think I packed it up in favour of the car because it was taking too big a chunk out of the day, probably in the region of three hours, there and back. The things one does when one is young.

PS: I dare say the BBC would have trouble forcing their star newsreader, Mr. Edwards, to return the large salary paid him since his suspension November last year. But if Edwards were truly remorseful & repentant, he could simply return the money voluntarily. Perhaps from the date of the offense, assuming that he has not just spent it all? No doubt the lawyers could work out some form of words which closed the matter down. Think Orley Farm which ends on a similar issue - for which see reference 1.

References

Reference 1: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2024/02/orley-farm.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment