Saturday 5 October 2024

Screwfix passage

Regular readers will know that I make regular use of what I call the Screwfix passage, which gets me from the East Street side of the rails, to the Longmead Industrial Estate, an underpass which comes out by the Screwfix shed there. A place where I took blackberries on sundry occasions this year. The odd trolley last year.

Some may remember that I noticed (at reference 1) some outdoor art decorating the start of the passage running from the start of East Street to the railway station.

So I have been interested to find that the passage is being given the treatment. Treatment which involves more than one day, more than one person and a large number of tins of spray paint - this last very smelly, regular glue sniffing stuff, not that you hear much about that these days. A scare which has passed? 

The chap who appeared to be doing most of the work told me that he did not make a preliminary sketch, but he did admit to thinking a bit about what he was going to do before setting off. Not high art, but not without merit, and a good deal better than the bird at reference 1. But I wonder how long it will escape the attentions of the various unsavoury characters who no doubt frequent the passage after dark.

PS 1: a rather fine autumn fungus captured on the way, albeit a little weather beaten. Google Images suggests chicken of the woods or Laetiporus sulphureus. Edible, perhaps mentioned by television chefs. Perhaps the pictures at reference 2 are juveniles.

PS 2: the previous day I had been intrigued by this advertisement - I forget where it was - for an expensive watch. Who on earth would buy such a ridiculous thing? How many of the buyers would have a clue what all the dials were about or how to use them? Or get to use them?

References

Reference 1: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2024/08/around-epsom.html.

Reference 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus_sulphureus.

No comments:

Post a Comment