Friday 3 May 2024

Big haddock

In which I celebrated something, perhaps remembering to go back for the umbrella that I had left in NatWest bank, not having been able to do my business there as my pensioners' bus pass was no substitute, despite the better quality selfie, for my driving license.

The fish man from Lowestoft, from the same operation that does Ewell and Stoneleigh, was doing our Thursday market. The fish man who was able to offer me the largest piece of haddock that I had ever seen: lightly smoked, that is to say with a paler shade of yellow paint than that which is sometimes used for smoked cod.

A little over a kilo in weight. I took two middle cuts, one large for self, one small for BH, leaving the two end pieces for a Sunday kedgeree. Perhaps to be taken with a little white wine.

While the middle cuts were taken in a simpler fashion, boiled with boiled vegetables. The larger bit of fish had around 12 minutes, the smaller around 8. In the snap of it all above, the third tranche of courgette was sent to the back for looking a little large on the plate. 

The fish was very good. Firm in texture and not too strongly flavoured. Maybe the firmness is what you get from a middle cut taken from a large fish. Moistened with just a little butter.

For dessert, what was left of the plum crumble from the day before. Taken, in BH's case, with cold custard.

PS 1: what happens when I have no valid bus pass, driving license or passport?  Am I to be deemed an unperson by the banks if I decline to use buses, cars and aeroplanes?

PS 2: what is it about smoked haddock which makes it froth white when brought to the boil in water? 

No comments:

Post a Comment